As our children prepare to head back to school this fall, it’s important for us to remember some bus driving driving safety tips that will help keep our streets safe. Here are some bus safety tips:
1. All 50 states have a law making it illegal to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children.
2. Yellow flashing lights mean a bus is preparing to stop to load/unload children. Red Flashing lights means that a bus is stopped and children are loading/unloading.
3. All 50 states require traffic in BOTH directions to stop on undivided roadways when students are entering or exiting a school bus
4. The area 10 feet around a school bus is where most children are in danger of being hit.
5. Be alert because children can be unpredictable and can get too comfortable with the roads near their homes and head across a street at a moment’s notice.
6. Never pass a school bus on the right.