This time of year, many people take to the water to avoid the blistering heat. When around water, you should be aware of the signs of drowning as it does not look like you might expect. The following are signs of drowning:
- Head only partially above water
- Failing to gain distance while appearing to swim
- Appearing to swim while vertical
- Appearing to climb an “invisible ladder”
- Hair in mouth and eyes: person may be focused on breathing, not seeing
You will note that none of the above describes flailing about and screaming for help like you see in the movies. Please be safe this summer and enjoy the water responsibly. Have the appropriate life preservers, especially when children are involved.