A Mom Fights for Accountability on Energy Drinks

In 2012, 14-year-old Anais Fournier drank two 24-ounce cans of Monster energy drink within 24 hours, went into cardiac arrest and died. The cause of death listed on her autopsy report was “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity“ in the presence of a heart condition. The caffeine Anais consumed is equivalent to 14 cans of Coca-Cola and is almost five times the recommended daily limit for children.

Thus began an odyssey for Wendy Crossland (Anais’ mom) that culminated recently with congressional hearings on the safety of energy drinks such as Monster, 5-Hour Energy, Red Bull, Rockstar and others. The revved-up sodas have been cited for a twofold increase in emergency room visits from 2007 to 2011 and reports of at least 18 deaths to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Read more about Casey and EndDD.