The cold weather has finally started to arrive, which means people will be plugging in their space heaters to keep warm in the office and at home. While space heaters can be a great way to warm a small area, they are also extremely dangerous fire hazards if the proper safety precautions are not taken. Space heaters are a common cause for house fires and often result in entire houses being burned to the ground. So please exercise precaution and follow these simple safety tips to help you survive the low temperatures without harming your property or loved ones.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from combustible objects such as paper products, curtains, trash cans, and wood products.
- Do not use extension cords with space heaters unless absolutely necessary.
- Check the space heater’s cord periodically to make sure it is not frayed or damaged. Do not use a space heater with a damaged cord because a fire could start from the damaged portion of the cord.
- Keep your space heater on a flat, level surface. If a space heater falls, it could easily be put into a position where it starts a fire.
- Unless, your space heater is designed for use outdoors or in bathrooms, do not use your space heater in damp, wet areas. This can cause a shorting of your unit and lead to disastrous results.
- Periodically check your plug and outlet fit. If the plug becomes very hot, the outlet may need to be replaced. This could be a sign of a potential home wiring issue.
- Remember, a space heater is not designed to replace your home’s heating system. It is only designed to be a supplementary source of heat.
- Make sure your space heater is turned off and unplugged when you leave your home.
Follow these safe tips and you can have a safe, warm holiday season! If you’re still feeling cold at home with your space heater running, we suggest a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate!