After the recent chaos in Birmingham and Atlanta, we have really been thinking differently about what we keep in our cars for emergencies. The following is a list of items you should keep handy, just in case:
1. Jumper cables (preferably with the knowledge to use them safely)
2. Spare tire, tire iron, and car jack (and/or fix-a-flat)
3. Blanket or sleeping bag: This is one we never think about, but many of the people that spent the night in their vehicles on Birmingham highways would have loved to have had one.
4. Drinking water and/or energy bars
5. Phone charger
6. Emergency lighting: Road flares and reflectors make you visible if broken down or stranded at night. A flashlight could prove useful as well.